Ronja Rövardotter (1984)

There should be a difference between "children movies" and "family movies" as two different genres on IMDb. Otherwise many people might believe movies like this are movies for little children and won't even try to watch it. And in the case of Ronja it would be as big mistake as if you avoid watching "Deer Hunter" if you don't like war films, or "Godfather" if you don't like crime movies. Certainly Ronja is not The Godfather, but it's one of the best in the genre: you should have no prejudice - this movie has no age, interest or other limits.

It is not a "children movie" as most movies sorted in "family" genre are, like "Pippi Langstrumpf", "Madiken" or "Alla vi barn i Bullerbyn" (all of them by Astrid Lindgren books). It is not a movie you have to watch because you are a grandparent who has a duty to watch TV with grandchildren. It is a movie you can watch at any age alone or with any member of your family. I watched it with my children who are from early to very late teens (and you know how at that age kids try to get as distant as they can from childish so nobody could consider them to be little children); I've never seen it before and it had no sentimental meanings to me (no memories from my childhood), but we all loved it and still, months later, laugh remembering some scenes or quotes. And I saw my wife crying as she never does watching standard tragic stories like "Titanic". We are not that old to be senile and back to diapers. So, if we all loved it - isn't that an example what a real family movie should be?!

So please, could these two genres could somehow be distinguished?

I saw this film for the first time when I was about 7 years old (only a few years after it's release in 1984). My mother first wouldn't let me see it, because she thought it would be too scary for me. I'm still glad she changed her mind!

I had never seen a film like this before.... From the very first scene until the last I was totally captivated by the medieval/fantasy world and this brave, strongminded girl. And the surroundings, WOW! What adventurous kid (and I was) wouldn't want such a forest to roam in? Every time I finished watching it (and I saw it MANY times!), I immediately ran outdoors and pretended I was Ronja for the rest of the day (including her "Spring-scream" :-)

(the following includes **spoilers**)

The film is about an 11-year old girl, Ronja, who lives in a huge medieval castle in the middle of a vast and wild forest. Her macho father Mattis is the leader of a band of twelve robbers who roam the woods and rob the travelers passing through. The night Ronja is born there is a storm, and lightning makes the castle split in two, with a huge abyss in the middle. One day, Ronja spots a boy on the other side of the gap...It's the first child she has ever seen, and he turns out to be Birk, the 11-year old son of another leader of robbers who have moved into the other half of Mattis' castle! They become friends and secretly meet and play in the woods. Of course, Ronja's very macho (but also very sweet) father goes bananas when he learns about these intruders.... He captures Birk, but that proves too much for Ronja. She and Birk decide to leave their crazy fathers and to live in a cave in the forest until their fathers come to their senses and stop fighting.... Eventually they do, but untill that moment a lot of adventures happen! I'm in my twenties now, and I still love this film as much as the first time I saw it as a child. It just has everything, as do all Astrid Lindrens childrens books. The way in which Lindgren manages to take difficult situations and problems and make them understandable for children is really amazing. The story is about growing up, betrayal, choosing sides (even if that means standing up to your father), leaving home, looking after yourself, the death of a grandparent and eventually the proof that family bonds can not easily be broken. If I watch it now I can't help noticing that these themes are very mature, not the happy "Disney-themes" you would expect in a childrens film (especially a Hollywood production) at all. But Lindgren succeeded in making these big, important themes very accessible and understandable for (even very little) children. And the feminist element in all her stories was way ahead of its time!

Ronja immediately became my role-model, and the medieval world captured my imagination (as it still does; I study Medieval History at university now). The many fantasy-elements are great too, and make the story very suitable for little children as well as adults.

Ronja has a special place in my heart from the first time I saw her. This heartwarming film carries important messages about growing up, life, family, friendship and death, but never gets too heavy or incomprehensible for little children. I think every child (and especially girls) should watch it, but since it is a Swedish film I don't think it will ever reach a wide audience. I live in The Netherlands and had to order the DVD in Sweden (without subtitles, but I don't care. I now it by heart!).

Anyway, I think "Ronja the Robber's Daughter" is a gem among children's films, a timeless masterpiece that will captivate even the latest generation of 21th-century kids. If you can get your hands on it, rent/buy it and watch it with your children!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it a good idea to study in China?

Is it a good idea to study in China?