Is it a good idea to study in China?

 Logo

https://www.istudy-china.com/


 

 Related

What are the advantages and disadvantages studying in China?

Hello!


My name is Clara and I am a former student of University of Nottingham Ningbo. I was an exchange student and lived in Ningbo for several months. So, I learned plenty of things. Even though, I bring with me positive memories, I also carry some downsides.


China is a very complex country. It’s like going on a boat on a peacuful river and occasionaly having to dodge the obstacles in your way. Sometimes it’s just a rock and sometimes it’s a big current. Along with this metaphore, I have an interesting story that happened in Guillin. We were riding it’s famous river, going along the water in a bambu boat. When suddenly, another boat came too close to us. The driver dodge the boat but one of our chairs, fell in the water. It was very poetic to observe how the chair was submerging into the water bit by bit, and we could not do much about, as the current of the river moved us forward.


Anyway, let’s get back on track. I believe that being a foregneir in China has its perks, and along with being an outsider, being a student also has some advantages. Chinese locals tend to be very nice. Some even get excited about seeing you. Especially in less populated areas. I used to be a volunteer in Ningbo’s schools. I went once a week to teach them English. Kids looked at us like we were aliens. Ironically, alien is also a common word associated with foregneirs. They even asked for my autograph, as if I was a celebrity. But the fascination is not only for children. Grown ups also take pictures of you on public places. Sometimes they ask you to pose, other times they do it secretly. When I went out with two of my blonde friends to Ningbo’s museum, a woman and her daughter approached us and asked to take pictures with each one of us, especially with the “blonde ladies”. We talked a bit with the daughter and she said that her mum was usually very keen on meeting foregneirs, as in China it was not common to see them when she was young. This sensation of “feeling special” is definetely something that can’t happen at home and at least, I was very happy about. Also, chinese locals tend to ask you where you are from. And if you can reply them in mandarin. They get surprised and smile like kids. I think that they are one of the most welcoming countries that I have never been into


Studying in China offers many opportunities. As you get to spend more time with other local youngsters. I believe that making friends with chinese students might be sometimes hard, as they are more shy than your average western student. But once you stablish a friendship. They are the sweetest and most generous people in the world. I used to get very fascinated by chinese gratitude. I talked to one of my friends and mentioned that I was traveling to Korea during the winter break. Before I left for the trip, my friend gave me some socks and a neklace and said that she knew I was going to a very cold place, so I better bring some socks. I was impressed. Also, speaking of trips. China offers great opportunities for students to go sight-seeing and travel. With your student card you get discounts on many places, and some for free. If you study in China, you must travel. It’s the perfect time and China is very safe. My father always advices me to travel. He says that when I start working and have holidays, I won’t have the strenght or patience to hop in and out of night trains and sleep on cheap motels. I think this is very accurate. So, take as much opportunities as you can.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it a good idea to study in China?